Sunday 3 January 2010

The Fuck Is That?

You know, I tried to watch Dances With Wolves a number of years ago and just couldn't get through it. A little bit of Keven Costner dislike (and where the hell is he, by the way? Anyone?) and maybe I was just not in the mood. I think I'll have to give it another shot though, because it pipped Goodfellas to the Oscar post for Best Picture, which seems strange.


Goodfellas is the type of film that I think Martin Scorsese excels at. And he does this mob flick well. It's funny in parts, scary in parts, ruthless in parts. The performances are uniformly fantastic - I've never been a Ray Liotta fan, but I am now. De Niro - great. Pesci - great. All of them were. It looked really good, and it was very entertaining.

As mentioned, I'm just going to have to power through reviews to get through them (these are getting a bit old now, not that fresh in my mind, so there's not a lot I can talk about them. I really should take notes...) so this is about all I'm going to say about it. It's a great gangster flick, definitely worth checking out if you haven't already seen it. It's not my favourite Scorsese film, but I really like the majority of his films, so by any other director it would probably settle at the top of my esteem for them. Costner had better have pulled something remarkable out of his hat in order to have made something better than this.

5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment