Wednesday 17 March 2010

You Are The Only Home I Ever Had.

Must hurry up. Quickly on Steven Spielberg's Munich from 2005.




Firstly, I think Spielberg is a very competent director. He knows very well what he's doing and how to accomplish it, which generally makes perfectly watchable and enjoyable movies, but I never really find that they grab hold of me and make me want to jump and scream and cry and laugh. I find myself sitting through them fine, and then not really thinking about them again. This goes along roughly the same lines for Munich, a film about the terrorist hijinks revolving around Palestine and Israel at the 1972 Munich Olympic Games.


It has a pretty good cast, though, as an Australian who remembers Eric Bana growing up on screen as a comedian, and often an average one (I'm looking at you, The Eric Bana Show), I find it quite hard to see past his history when viewing him in a dramatic setting. Here, he acquits himself fine. The supporting players are fantastic, including Daniel Craig (who it took me a while to recognise), Mathieu Amalric, Mathieu Kassovitz and Geoffrey Rush (who managed to reign in his often camp sensibility for this serious picture.) Plus, it's a very interesting and compelling story, somewhat one-sided as it is.


The film is fine, there is nothing wrong with it, but I just didn't love it. I enjoyed it, and won't watch it again. And that's pretty much all I have to say on the matter. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment