Wednesday 9 June 2010

My Lips Are Pale Blue.

So, this one may be cheating a little, but I watched it, and I'm scrambling to make up some films, so we're all just going to have to deal with it, ok? Good. Besides, I've watched so many three hours films, that I'm sure the fact that this one doesn't quite scrape through to feature length shouldn't worry anyone. Well, it doesn't worry me. And at the end of the day, I'm only cheating myself, non?


Marry me. Immediately.


Go Quiet is the film on the bonus disc of Jónsi's limited edition release of his recent solo record Go. (Everyone should know by now that Jónsi is the lead singer of Sigur Rós.) Directed by the same man behind the band's 2007 film Heima (a beautiful documentary about a series of free concerts the boys gave in Iceland as a way of giving back to the island), Dean DeBlois (who apparently also directs films about training dragons, but that's just by the by),  Go Quiet features much of the same beautiful slow motion photography creating a sense of place rather than of story. The concept behind the film is that Jónsi wakes up alone in his messed up house after hosting a New Year's Eve party and retraces the night as he performs his songs acoustically and alone.


The album, as we know, is glorious. I was a little afraid, but it is truly terrific (bolstered by the incredible live show I saw last month - it was truly something special and would rate as one of the best live gigs I've been to.) And watching the truest love of my life, my ultimate future husband, number one of my list wandering his house barefoot, picking up instruments and singing so mournfully was breathtaking. Yes, I'm horribly biased, but there you have it. Take it or leave it.


If you're not a fan, it's still a very pretty film. As a film itself, it's not too bad. The narrative intent isn't strong enough, so it plays more as simply a live DVD - not a concert per se, but someone in their living room belting out some tunes. Were it not for the photography, it kind of could have been on YouTube. Not meaning to denigrate it, but there wasn't that much more to it.


So, it's a 3.5 star film. You can get it on its own, fear not, but it's pretty in the limited edition if you can get it. Plus, the album is terrific. Worth the buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment